Re: Doubts over spectacular Jinmium dates

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Thu, 29 Jan 98 05:34:31 +0800

Glenn

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 15:37:47 -0600, Glenn Morton wrote:

[...]

>GM>>We know that Homo erectus crossed the ocean 700,000 years ago and was
>>>on the island of Flores, Indonesia. It isn't far from there to Australia
>>>(indeed natural forest fires on Australia could have been seen from Timor
>>>an Island not far from Flores.).

>SJ>Australia...is often ravaged by lightning-lit fires...El-Nino effects can
>>cause a few years of droughts within otherwise wet periods...
>>
>>OTOH I have no problem with Homo erectus being in Australia 700,000
>>years ago.

GM>Nobody said that H. erectus was in Australia 700,000 years ago,
least of all I.

Nobody said *you* did say it. I said *I* have no problem with Homo
erectus being in Australia 700,000 years ago and lighting fires.

>SJ>The issue was whether the Jinmium art was the product of
>>H. erectus or H. sapiens. If it is 176,000 years old, then either:
>>a) it was H. erectus (which would make him more intelligent than
>>previously thought) or b) it was H. sapiens (which would make him
>>older than previously thought). Since there is no other evidence
>>elsewhere for either a) or b), and we know about El-Nino caused
>>fires in Australia, I prefer the latter explanation.

GM>Why no fires prior to 140,000 years ago. The entire pattern of soot in the
>air around Australia, recorded both in the Lake George Core and in oceanic
>cores changed significantly from the pattern seen in the earlier rocks.

As I said, this could have been caused by the beginnings of an
El-Nino cycle. Or it could have been caused by hominids. When there
is other positive evidence that hominids were in Australia 140,000
years ago, then I will accept the hominid-lit hypothesis.

But there is positive counter-evidence that large-scale destruction
of the Australian vegetation only occurred 10,000 years ago:

The drying of a continent

HUMANS arriving in Australia 50 000 years ago may have drastically
altered its climate forever. Researchers said last week that
destruction of vegetation in the interior by early settlers could
have stopped monsoon rains from penetrating inland, turning much of
the continent's heartland into desert.

Australia's monsoons begin in December, when winds from Asia blow in
moist sea air, and last about three months. Geological records show
that in the past 150 000 years, monsoons everywhere were much wilder
and wetter at the end of an ice age, when the warmer weather swelled
the oceans.

However, there was one exception. When the last ice age thawed about
10 000 years ago, the Australian monsoons did not grow more severe.
By contrast, records of monsoons in Africa and Asia at that time show
that they became violent.

Gifford Miller of the University of Colorado in Boulder and his
colleagues wondered if it was mere coincidence that this unusual
dryness came after people arrived on Australian shores. "We knew
people were there," says Miller. "The question was why should that
be important?"

Modern Aborigines commonly use fire to clear land. If the first
Australians carried out the same practice, they may have
significantly reduced the plant cover in the interior. Plants absorb
water and then transpire it, so it can be absorbed by nearby
vegetation. With few plants in the interior, water would fail to
filter inland and much would evaporate away.

To find out if this process could have caused the climate change, the
researchers simulated the Australian monsoon using a computer climate
model. They tested how having an interior covered with desert or
vegetation would affect rainfall. To their surprise, vegetation
doubled the average amount of monsoon rains on the continent to about
4 millimetres per day. "If this is true, the bottom line is that
even with low technology, humans have changed climate on a
continental scale," he says.

"It's a very nice analysis and a surprising result," says Jenni
Evans, a meteorologist at Pennsylvania State University in University
Park. But she cautions that even the best climate models need to be
confirmed by direct evidence. Miller agrees and says there is
already geological evidence that the amount of burning did increase
fivefold after humans arrived. He intends to look for signs of a
shift in the type of vegetation growing in the interior at the same
time. Philip Cohen

(Cohen P., "The drying of a continent," New Scientist, Vol 156, No
2113/4, 20/27 December 1997, p6)

>>>fail, you can be assured that I will remove it from my list. I
>>>have already removed Orce from the copy that went into the book.

>SJ>OK. But the study casts doubt on *all* the dates obtained by
>>thermoluminescence:...You might consider some such disclaimer in your list?

GM>Stephen, you haven't even looked at the list so you really don't know what
>you are talking about here.

Since you had not mentioned any changes, and in fact you were
defending its retention, I assumed it was still the same as when you
posted the list to the Reflector last July. In fact, you actually