Re: fossilization

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:15:29 -0600

At 07:06 PM 1/25/98 -0600, Ron Chitwood wrote:
>are<<<<
>
>I am also interested in raindrop patterns, leaf priints and tracks. Have
>any of those been reported as fossilized recently?

I know of no raindrop impressions (although one can look along a creek bed
or river after a rain and see rain pits which if covered by sediment would
be preserved.

As to leaves, I would suggest looking at Robert A. Spicer, "The sorting and
Deposition of Allochthonous Plant material in a Modern Environment at
Silwood Lake, Silwood Park, Berkshire, England" U. S. Geological Survey
Professional Paper 1143 (1981) p. 43.

Cores taken from the lake show several layers of leaf litter still preserved
at varous depths. Core RB1 has leaves from the surface to .1 meter. A leaf
layer at .25 m, .575 m, .6 m, 1.0-1.1 m, 1.3 m, 1.45 m.

Core DF1 has leaves in the sediment from .6 -.9 m and from 1.1 m to 1.2 m.

Other cores shown in Figure 44 show other buried and preserved leaf beds in
the shallowest portion of the leaves.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood