Re: uniformitarianism (was: fossil fish with fingers)

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:20:28 -0600

At 09:52 PM 1/23/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:

>I would like to challenge you to do some really creative thinking and see
>if you can come up with an explanation consonant with a shoret chronology.
>I'll bet you could if you put your creative mind to it. That is what I
>mean by checking things out. And don't just tell me it's impossible.
>Figure out a way to make it happen. That's what it has been like in every
>problem we have tackled. It looked impossible until we actually had put in
>a few years work on it. But they always end up revealing something
>remarkable about the assumptions prevalent in geology today. (Incidentally
>we will be presenting our Tapeats paper at the Int'l Sed. Congress in Spain
>in April!)

Unfortunately I have spent several years when a YEC thinking and pondering
the Austin Chalk. The cocolith particles are quite small and thus require
still waters and lots of time for them to settle out of the water. Even if
the cocoliths were deposited via fish droppings as happens today, that would
also require lots of fish and lots of time. Like David, I cam to the
conclusion that the only way to do this was to put it in a post flood
situation.
But if I do that, then the 18,000 feet of sediment above the chalk in
Lousiana must also be post flood. Since the 18,000 feet of sediment would
take a huge amount of time, it would require pushing the flood way back in
time, contrary to what I believed as a YEC. And since no one wants to have a
flood 70 million years ago, I would either have to give up the global flood
or move it to a time before which there was any evidence of humanity.
So maybe I wasn't creative enough but I simply failed at that task.

You might be surprised what size reefs have been described as transported
>asemblages. Some of Melvin Cook's papers on the Paleozoic Reefs of Canada
>reinterpret every one of what until then were considered legitimate coral
>reefs, as autochthonous. See my paper in Origins (5:39-46) on transported
>assemblages for more details. Maybe some of them have not been
>transported, but on this point the longer you wait, the more autochthonous
>reef assemblages become allochthonous.

It seems funny that lots of them land right side up. I will order your
paper, because I expect it to challenge my viewpoint and would be well worth
my while.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood