Re: Contrary Evidence?

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:25:35 -0600

At 06:30 PM 1/21/98 -0600, bpayne@voyageronline.net wrote:
>Glenn posted this on another listserve where my response is off topic,
>so he suggested we discuss it here.
>
>Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:36:56 -0500 Glenn Morton wrote:
>
>> I have asked several of my
>> YEC friends who are in the oil industry, and who went to Christian Heritage
>> College which is Henry Morris' school if they could name 1 single geological
>> fact, which differed from conventional geology, and which they were taught
>> at CHC, which they believed to be true still. The amazing thing was that
>> none of them could name one!
>
>I didn't go to CHC (I was taught what you now believe, but now lean in
>the direction you left - too bad we didn't meet when we were passing
>each other), but here's one: I agree with Steve Austin (of the Institute
>for Creation Research) that coal seams, most of which are described as
>swamp deposits, do not display the characteristics I would expect to see
>in a coal-from-swamp deposit (known as autochthonous coal).
>
>Because of the general lack of stumps in coal, because of vertical
>fossil tree-trunks (usually without attached roots - I've never seen any
>with attached roots but I understand there are some) immediately above
>and below some coal seams, and because of the wide lateral extent of
>thin bedding structures in coals, my observations strongly suggest to me
>that coal was formed by organic matter deposited out of water (known as
>allochthonous.

Let me ask this. Even if you are correct, that coal is deposited from
water, that does NOT mean that it was the flood waters. Why do you jump to
the conclusion that water deposition of coal must mean a global flood?

This question is especially important in view of the fact that coal
represents at least 45 times more plant matter on earth before the flood
than there is on earth today. (I mistakenly told a friend at dinner the
other night that it was 15 times; If he is listening, it is 45 times.)

This comes from the fact that coal contains 15 x 10^18 g of carbon and there
is only .3 x 10^18 grams in all of the biosphere today

15/.3 =45.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood