Contrary Evidence?

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 18:30:09 -0600

Glenn posted this on another listserve where my response is off topic,
so he suggested we discuss it here.

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:36:56 -0500 Glenn Morton wrote:

> I have asked several of my
> YEC friends who are in the oil industry, and who went to Christian Heritage
> College which is Henry Morris' school if they could name 1 single geological
> fact, which differed from conventional geology, and which they were taught
> at CHC, which they believed to be true still. The amazing thing was that
> none of them could name one!

I didn't go to CHC (I was taught what you now believe, but now lean in
the direction you left - too bad we didn't meet when we were passing
each other), but here's one: I agree with Steve Austin (of the Institute
for Creation Research) that coal seams, most of which are described as
swamp deposits, do not display the characteristics I would expect to see
in a coal-from-swamp deposit (known as autochthonous coal).

Because of the general lack of stumps in coal, because of vertical
fossil tree-trunks (usually without attached roots - I've never seen any
with attached roots but I understand there are some) immediately above
and below some coal seams, and because of the wide lateral extent of
thin bedding structures in coals, my observations strongly suggest to me
that coal was formed by organic matter deposited out of water (known as
allochthonous.

Bill