Re: fossil fish with fingers

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 19:54:04 -0600

At 08:47 AM 1/21/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 10:37 PM 1/20/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:
>
>>Well, in this case, I will carefully watch to see if you make statements
>>about things you have not personally looked at. :-) Let's see. You always
>>cite Buchheim about the Green River varves not being varves because there is
>>a variable number of layers between two tuffs in Fossil Lake. Have you
>>counted the layers between those two tuffs? If not, you are trusting the
>>expert to inform you of what he has seen. And if you can trust Buchheim,
>>why can't I others to tell me the truth? ;-)
>
>I have counted varves in the Green River Shale and I do know that the
>procedure is extremely tentative and unreliable in these sediments. This
>does give me some first hand knowledge of the problem and the processes.
>However, I am not taking Buchheim's interpretation, just his data.

But I was not asking if you had counted varves in the Green River, I was
asking if you had counted Buchheim's varves. That is different. I have
counted varves on some cores as well. I know that it is difficult
sometimes. But if it is unreliable, then I would suggest that that tells
against Buchheim's count being reliable. Maybe there are the same number of
varves between the two tuffs and Buchheim miscounted!. Saying that the
technique is tentative is a two-edged sword. Maybe they are yearly varves
and Buchheim didn't count correctly.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood