Re: 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 14:30:00 -0600

At 02:00 PM 1/21/98 -0600, Ron wrote:

SC
>order
>> (decreased entropy). The law specifically describes the conditions under
>> which a decrease in entropy can occur. In fact, there is daily evidence
>ot
>> this. For instance, decreased entropy occurs when a single fertilized
>cell
>> grows into a multi-trillion cell human. The naive view of the 2nd law
>> perpetrated by anti-evolutionists fails to take into account the obvious
>> examples of increased order that occur in the world.<<<

Ron
>Ah, but it starts out as a sperm (as an example) grows to human adulthood,
>then dies, and eventually becomes dust. To me that is an example of
>overall increasing disorder. To my 'great unwashed' mind, 2LoT is like a
>constant bear market. It has peaks, but they always seem alittle less than
>they were before. Thus an increase in entropy.

And the dinosaurs became extinct (permanently back to dust) and the universe
is running down. In the end, entropy wins regardless of how much order
there appears at intermediate times. It just depends on your points of
reference when you try to claim that entropy has increased or decreased.

At any rate, my major point, which you didn't respond to, is that decreasing
entropy IS possible and the 2nd law explains how it comes about.
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs