Re: Doubts over spectacular Jinmium dates

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 17:28:29 -0600

Stephen Jones wrote:

>I am still going through back issues of journals catching up after
>my 3 months break. On Sat, 05 Jul 1997 21:13:03 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>GM>This is a list of human technological achievements which I compiled >>for

>>another list. ...History of Human Chronology, compiled by G.R. Morton,
>>http://www.isource.net/~grmorton/dmd.htm
>>
>>Age BP Oldest example of... place Species
>>Ref.
>
>[...]
>
>>GM>75-116 kyr rock engraving Jinmium, Australia a. H. s.58
>
>[...]
>
>I don't know if this has been posted while I was away but here
>is an extract of article in SCIENCE which casts doubts on the
>Jinmium TL dates. It seems they could be only 10,000 years old,
>rather than the 116-176,000 claimed!

Thank you for this. I have ordered the article. I had heard that one guy
was upsed with the Jinmium dates but had not been able to find confirmation.
I had e-mailed the fellow three times with no response.

However, there is one thing that Jinmium explains that without it is left
unexplained. The aborigines used fire to kill game. About 140,000 years
ago oceanic cores and lake cores in and around Australia suddenly started
showing lots of soot whereas for the 6-700,000 years prior to that, there
was no soot at all. The argument from these cores has been made that this
represents the time that humans first occupied Australia. If the Jinmium
dates hold up, then everything fits together. We know that Homo erectus
crossed the ocean 700,000 years ago and was on the island of Flores,
Indonesia. It isn't far from there to Australia (indeed natural forest
fires on Australia could have been seen from Timor an Island not far from
Flores.).

Anyway, I will await the outcome before removing it. If one responded
everytime someone had a doubt, then even Newton's law of gravitation would
have to be retracted and not taught. (in the 80s it was suggested that there
was an additional baryonic term to gravity and experimental evidence was
presented in support of that idea.) Should we have not taught physics
students Newtons law during the time one fellow had some doubts?

If the dates fail, you can be assured that I will remove it from my list. I
have already removed Orce from the copy that went into the book.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood