Re: Anoles

R. Joel Duff (Virkotto@intrnet.net)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:13:25 -0600 (CST)

Kevin Koening wrote:
stuff chopped
>Also, as stated in the article, they don't know yet if the changes
>that occurred are genetic in origin.
>
>What I assume is news worthy is that the lizards underwent such a
>change so quickly. Indeed the article mentions this. If this is in fact
>evolution in action, to anyone's knowledge, would this be the first
>event of its kind that has been observed? I would think not.
>Perhaps someone has read about this in a science journal . . .

Kevin,
Your right, observations of this type are not a rare occurrence.
Adaptions to environmental influences are well documented with probably the
most famous (though I tire of hearing about it) example being that of the
peppered moths in England that you can find in most general biology texts.
Although the rate of adaption in this is noteworthy I don't think that you
will here many dispute the plausibility. What will be noted (and rightly
so) by many on this list is that this is an example of microevolution and
that such observed genetic changes do not necessarily lead to the evolution
of new species (or _kinds_).

As an aside and not to anyone in particular, I love reading looking at mags
such as popular science, scientific american etc.. but I also have become
very disenchanted with the articles tendencies to overstate and
overgeneralize on many topics (e.g. the many times that articles in
Scientific American claim to have "solved" the disappearance of the
dinosaurs). It is no wonder than many people think that science have proven
so many things when these inflated articles are printed. I have noticed in
looking through much of the scientific creationists literature that they
often quote from articles in Scientific American, Natural History, and even
Discover Mag. and that is very fustrating to me. They would do a lot
better to examine more critical analyses of issues. I think Art Chadwick
would be a good example of the later. I really can't dismiss what he says
because he has obviously read a good amount of scientific literature. I am
especially enjoying his comments on the Green River Varves etc.. they
really make me think more deeply about these issues and less quick to jump
into proclamations that this or that proves the earth is old (though I
still believe it is).

That enough ranting for today,

Joel from accross the border in Southern Illinois

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
,-~~-.___.
Joel and Dawn Duff / | ' \ Spell Check?
Carbondale IL 62901 ( ) 0
e-mail: duff@siu.edu \_/-, ,----'