Re: how often were the waters out?

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:03:21 -0800

At 01:25 PM 1/14/98 CDT, Glenn wrote:
>The suggestion has been made that the dinos left their tracks at periods when
>the land was exposed and the flood waters were elsewhere. Many track sites
>show tracks occurring on different but narrowly separated stratigraphic
>intervals

At this stage in our knowledge of dinosaurs I think it is still safe to say
that we don't really know much about their habits. It is conceivable that
some of them habituated water, and in the many trackways we have preserved,
there are precious few that show any evidence of tail drag. In the Paluxy
River trackways, there are no tail marks at all, and if Kuban is correct
about the meaning of the elongate trackways in the riverbed, they seem to
indicate that perhaps when the water was lower, the animals hunkered down
in the water to avoid carrying their full weight in the air. Just some
thoughts on the subject.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu