RE: Big crunch idea on universe exploded

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:57:55 -0600

That's a good point, Brian.

So while quantum mechanically the many-worlds interpretation gets around the
quantum measurement problems, and statistically it lets one avoid (or
mitigate) the "this is impossibly unlikely" argument (since every quantum
mechanical possibility -- every bizarre mutation, every set of monkeys
typing, etc., is actualized), but it doesn't explain why the natural laws
and constants are what they are.

Or would the counter argument be that even such laws and constants are
themselves products of quantum mechanical "luck" during the big bang (you'd
need some metalaws to determine the possibilities, presumably), in which
case every q-mly possible set of initial constants would be actualized? I
have no idea if this is a live option wrt current qm theory -- do you? Any
philosophically-oriented physics Ph.D. know the answer?

--John