Re: Dust and vanity

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Mon, 12 Jan 98 06:16:00 +0800

Glenn

On Tue, 06 Jan 1998 20:28:35 -0600, Glenn Morton wrote:

>SJ>Yunis & Prakash's excellent article is carefully and conservatively
>>argued and for me settles decisively the issue of man's common
>>ancestry with "a progenitor of chimpanzee and man" (Yunis & Prakash,
>>p1525). I thank you for drawing it to my attention.
>>
>>I have no problem if God fused an ape's two chromosomes but then I am
>>a Progressive (Mediate) Creationist, who maintains that God may have
>>supernaturally intervened at strategic points in the history of
>>life. But it seems a bit inconsistent for you, a Theistic
>>Evolutionist, to maintain that God fused only chromosome 2, but left
>>the other chromosome to change by natural mechanisms. If the other
>>chromosomes can change by natural mechanisms, why can't chromosome
>>2?

GM>Stephen, I must say I am impressed that you were willing to change
>your opinion about this issue.

Thank you for your kind words, but unfortunately I cannot accept your
claim that I have changed my opinion on the common ancestry of man
and chimp. For several years now (as you surely must know since it
was you who congratulated me on it then), I have provisionally
accepted common ancestry up to including man. On 28 Jun 95 I posted: