Re: Lung Fossils Suggest Dinos Breathed in Cold Blood

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 04 Jan 1998 12:00:54 -0600

At 11:00 PM 1/3/98 -0500, Brian D Harper wrote:
>At 06:20 PM 1/3/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:
>>At 05:34 AM 1/4/98 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:
>>
>>>Agreed. Eldredge candidly admits that the fossil record actually
>>>shows "truly instantaneous, overnight evolutionary leaps", but the
>>>the Neo- Darwinist can always maintain his gradualism by claiming
>>>that the gap occurs when the evolution did.
>>
>>Eldredge admits no such thing according to your own quotation. Notice the
>>word 'not' at the end of the first line.
>>

>Sorry to do a hit and run, but I thought I would mention
>that Eldredge (in <Reinventing Darwin>) states that the
>resolution of the fossil record is typically on the order
>of 10's of thousands of years at best. It's good to
>keep this in mind when talking about instantaneous jumps.
>Nighttime is long and lonely for those poor paleontologists :).

Thank you for pointing out that the resolution of the fossil record is at
best 10,000 years. I would like to note that the entire panoply of dog
breeds have been developed over the past 10,000 years. If a future
creationist only had the wolf from 10,000 years ago and a St. Bernard and
Chihuahua from today, he to would then argue that there were no connecting
links between the wolf and these two modern dog breeds. I can see this
argument appearing in some creationist book in the year 250,019 A.D. If
there were also a wolf alive today, the future creationist would be able to
argue that the wolf could not possibly be the ancestor of the St. Bernard
and Chihuahua because the wolf and these forms live side by side.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood