RE: ABCDEFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:09:17 -0600

At 12:17 AM 12/30/97 -0500, Brian D Harper wrote:
>Hmmm... since John has agreed to say no more and Glenn
>has promised to shut up [and who says miracles can't
>happen :)] it seems it may be safe for me to speculate
>wildly with no fear of rebuttal [fat chance].

Unfortunately no miracle has occurred. I think I only made that promise to
John. :-)

> It is with
>this in mind that I mentioned spotting ABCDEF as an
>orderly pattern, i.e. I was assuming that the alphabet
>was part of the "hardware" and not part of the algorithm
>itself. Otherwise, Glenn is correct.

I can agree with this. But I have a question if one uses statistics of the
alphabet as part of the "hardware" (or compression software) do you really
get a good measure of the complexity? Afterall, you have moved some of the
information out of the sequence and into the software.

One other thing that was pointed out to me privately. Technically when we
speak of information in a sequence we are speaking of information density
not the quantity of information. I will continue in my bad habit of using
the term 'information' because, unfortunately all the players in this field
tend to use this terminology.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood