RE: ABCDEFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 19:14:47 -0600

Glenn,

Occasionally one compression algorithm will compress information A to be
smaller than B, and another making b smaller than A, so it's tricky to use
practical compressibility even for comparisons, in some cases.

Also, it -is- easy to come up with an algorithm that compresses the
Britannica -- and only the Britannica -- down to a 1 bit file. (In my
example, everything but the EB is compressed via PKZIP [a ubiquitous
PC-based compression program].)

The problem, as Yockey would point out, is that my compression/decompression
algorithm simply contains the entire EB within it (to recognize it during
compression, and to insert it during decompression of the unique 1-bit
file), and so is presumably larger than the -normally- compressed EB itself,
and so (by agreement) doesn't count as a success.

But then I wonder -- if information is compressible IFF a smaller program
can generate it, then are small quantities of information uncompressible per
se? E.g., "111111" seems pretty compressible, but I bet it'd be hard to
write a 5-instruction program (especially using Turing machine instructions)
to generate it.

Also, who gets to specify which program instructions are available

But this is a tangent. I'll agree to say no more if you do. :^>

--John