Re: TV Debate?

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:10:43 -0600

At 04:33 PM 12/22/97 -0800, Greg Billock wrote:
>Hi. Did anyone see the 'Firing Line' TV show a couple of days
>ago? I guess Behe, Johnson, and Berlinski were on it, debating
>with several folks from the opposing side. Any reflections?
>Impressions?

Well.....after having pointed out to the reflector that the debate was going
to be held, I learned that it was to be blacked out in my area.
Fortunately, it will be aired this Sunday at noon and I plan to watch it then.

The comments made by reflectorites who watched the debate were what I
expected from the debate. Someone said that Johnson, Behe, et al., have
carved a niche for themselves by finding a receptive audience. That has
been my point all along. They (especially Johnson) do a good job against
the extremist views of Dawkins, Sagan, et al. But, there are a number of us
who see evolution as a good MECHANISTIC explanation (so far, at least) for
the origins of diverse life forms, but who do not see this mechanistic
explanation as either proving or refuting intelligent design. As Howard Van
Till might say, having a mechanistic explanation for the fabrication of life
on earth does not deny the existence of a designer. Design and assembly are
different things and by knowing the process of assembly, we can, perhaps,
understand a little better the nature of the designer.
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs