RE: David Berlinski, was: Firing Line debate

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 13:12:58 -0600

At 07:23 AM 12/7/97 -0600, John Rylander wrote:
>Brian,
>
>I hope you're right on Berlinski's excellence. The little I've read of
>Berlinski on this subject didn't impress me much. He was very heavy on
>literary eloquence, but light on scientific or philosophical precision and
>substance. He struck me as a continental-style intellectual, rich with
>eloquence and turns of phrase, rather than an Anglo-American-style analytical
>intellectual, emphasizing logic and rigor. In my view, the former is
>impressive for its sophisticated entertainment value and cleverness, but it's
>the latter that really helps us see the truth more clearly.

I'm not familar with Berlinski, but if John is correct, then Berlinski will
be right at home with Buckley. I recall from George Marsden's book, The
Soul of the American University, Marsden said that Buckley was more
interested in rhetoric that reasoned argument.

Nevertheless, I enjoy these shows.
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs