Re: Questions from a YEC Convert

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Mon, 01 Dec 1997 23:20:16 -0600

Mon, 01 Dec 1997 05:01:04 -0600 Glenn Morton wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> At 09:53 PM 11/30/97 -0600, bpayne@voyageronline.net wrote:

> >> The Grand
> >> Canyon has many different lithologies. The situation at Spirit Lake is quite
> >> different from the Grand Canyon.
> >
> >Correct, in scale only. I understand several hundred cubic MILES of
> >water would be impounded behind the Kaibab Uplift if it were not cut by
> >Grand Canyon. This natural dam would have trapped water as the Flood
> >receded. A breach in the dam would have eroded out rapidly and allowed
> >the impounded lake to discharge within perhaps a few weeks, cutting
> >Grand Canyon catastrophically.

On what basis, Glenn, do you say that this could not have happened?

> >Question, Glenn. If the Canyon eroded slowly (over millions of years)
> >as it is doing today, where is the delta? [snip]

> There are two places. The older is: [snip]

OK, I yield on the delta. Is the volume of material in the deltas
approximately equal to what we know was removed from Grand Canyon and
the Plateau?

> >I still have a little crow left, if you want a slice to be chewing on.
>
> If you do, I like my crow barbequed. :-)

Hey, that does sound good - I'll go ahead and start the fire, I may try
some myself!

Bill Payne