Questions from a YEC Convert

mullerd@chplink.CHP.EDU
Sun, 30 Nov 97 11:26:52 -0500

Glen,

Thank you for the amount of time you took in answering my
questions. The material obviously came from many years of
research and study. I will seriously consider it.

When referring to localized high energy currents in the
rapid formation of the Grand Canyon, you wrote:

> Can you point to such confined and localized high energy
> currents in today's oceans? In a water covered earth, the
> the currents would spread out and cause eddies.

I recall reading one scenario where after the flood water
receded and the glaciers formed in the resulting cooling
period, a very large lake formed upstream from the "Proposed
Grand Canyon Site". The water had gathered behind a
glacier. When the glacier dam failed, you have the confined
and localized high energy currents. It was these high
energy waters that channeled and blasted out the Grand
Canyon.

A current day example exists. When Mount St. Helens
erupted, and Spirit Lake was forced down the mountain, a
"mini grand canyon" was formed. Another situation developed
in that a log mat was formed from the trees that were made
homeless in the eruption. The log mat was an accumulation
of these trees on lower bodies of water. When divers
explored under this mass they discover, not only many layers
of logs, but many logs that were floating in an upright
position. Many were sticking up out of the layers of
recently deposited sediment. Can one draw a conclusion that
these upright logs would form fossils of trees that are
upright through different layers of sediment rock? And that
there are such fossils that have been discovered? Is this
not a case for castastrophism? (I sure hope that's a word)

Many thanks also to Walter and Allen for their input.

with respect,

Dan Muller