2d law

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noevalley.com)
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 00:39:50 -0800

grmorton@waymark.net (Glenn Morton) wrote:

> Those who say that one genome cannot mutate into another genome are the ones
> who are violating the 2nd law.

> Any bites?

Biological knowledge is knowledge of particular systems that have
their own rules, their own games, their own arenas. Principles of
physics don't come into play, unless the objective is to make one's
biological opinions seem to carry the weight of the principles of
physics.

Invoking the 2d law to claim something about organic evolution is
like invoking gravity to explain why we spell 'cat' c-a-t instead of
k-a-t. There is no direct connection between the complex causes in a
complex specific historical situation and the simple principles of
physics.

Evolution to any degree is a matter of specific complex biological
events that may or may not occur in a given physical system, be it
open or closed, losing energy or gaining energy in an overall sense.

BTW, when I respond to mail from this list, the addressee on my
reply is the individual sender, not the list. I have to manually
enter the calvin.edu address. This may account for the low traffic!

-- Cliff LundbergSan Franciscocliff@noevalley.com