Re: Something controversial

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:51:05 -0600

At 11:05 PM 11/24/97 -0600, Glenn wrote:

>"I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of
>season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful
>instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound
>doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a
>great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear." NIV
>
>What struck me forcefully is that this is directed at the Christians not the
>unbelievers. It is the Christians who have those itching ears and want to
>hear only what agrees with them! For years I have heard this verse used
>against non-christians and evolutionists but since a non-christian cannot be
>encouraged by the Word of God and they hold NO doctrine the passage can't
>apply to them.
>
>Here is the controversial part. It has been my experience that vast numbers
>of young-earth creationists will not read anything that disagrees with their
>own opinion. This also applies to many of the old-earth anti-evolutionists.
> Is this unwillingness to read that which disagrees with an accepted opinion
>an example of gathering "around them a great number of teachers to say what
>their itching ears want to hear."?

Interesting analysis, Glenn. However, I suspect that most people,
regardless of their viewpoints or philosophies tend to read and listen only
to those who reinforce their beliefs. The operative word is reinforce,
because it through this confirmation that many people justify their beliefs.

Last year, at a large Christmas party at my house, I noticed a graduate
student looking at the titles on one of my bookshelves. He later commented
that he was surprised to find books by Bertrand Russell there. In
particular was a collection of Russell essays entitled, "Why I am not a
Christian". I was disappointed that someone working on a PhD, a scholar if
you will, would be surprised to learn that I read books that are contrary to
my beliefs.

A related discussion occurred some time ago in this forum. Someone pointed
out that the only books on evolution in their church library were written by
YECs. This has been my experience as well. I labeled this conformity of
thought "theological correctness". I believe that the TC label is valid.

Shalom,

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs