Re: Darwinism: reply to Steve Clark's message of 9/22/97

paul.carline@virgin.net
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 21:28:11 -0700

paul.carline@virgin.net wrote:

> [...]
> hypothesis are dismissed as 'trivial' or when an obviously flimsy
> hypothesis is supported and promoted for non-scientific reasons.
> We have to ask the question: why has this particular theory (Darwin's)
> survived *despite* the clear lack of hard evidence (and not just
> survived, but become the dominant view not just in science, but in wide
> sections of society)?
>
> You dismiss out of hand my statement that there is no evidence to support
> the claim that natural selection could explain evolution, without
> offering a single piece of evidence to support that claim yourself.
>
> Could you please list all the facts of evolution which you know to be
> incontrovertibly true and show the proof for your assertions?
>
> Scientists wedded to the materialistic theory of evolution science are
> not normally candid about the lack of evidence to support their case.
> They do not typically admit that theirs is a theory full of holes
> requiring substantiation. They typically claim the status of 'fact' for
> their theory and pour scorn on anyone who dares to challenge them.
> Very few, if any, evolution scientists are doing research on basic theory
> and certainly not on ways of possibly falsifying the paradigm in order to
> test it more rigorously. Alice Fulton's review of Michael Behe's book is
> instructive: 'Behe overestimates biochemists' interest in evolution. ...
> The biochemists I know well (from fifteen years working together) don't
> think about evolution very much..' Behe found virtually no papers which
> even attempted to prove evolutionary pathways. The reality is that
> scientists are not typically the ardent searchers for truth as which they
> are usually portrayed and modern science is characterised by much lazy
> and slovenly thinking.
>
> I repeat. The current myth told by science about the history of the
> universe and the origin and development of life on planet earth is a
> set of hypotheses based on an interconnected mass of other hypotheses and
> assumptions. Since it has no explanation for the origin of life and the
> proposed mechanism of evolution is completely inadequate to explain what
> appears to have happened, there is no good reason for taking the myth
> seriously. It is not merely a question of filling in a few holes; there
> is far more hole than substance.
>
> I agree that I should not have used the word 'inexplicably'. Evolution
> science does not use it. It claims to be able to explain how life emerged
> and evolved, yet it cannot show a single definitive evolutionary
> sequence. As a hypothesis it is effectively dead in the water. I find it
> difficult to have much respect for anyone who wants to pretend that it is
> alive and well and swimming around. The known facts cannot support ND.
> The natural world is not a mechanism.That is already a metaphysical assumption or preconception, not a conclusion deriving from the facts. To
claim that science can equally support ID and ND is to my mind to have
failed to look at the real world with open eyes (For those who have eyes
to see..) But if you start from the metaphysical presumption that the