Darwinism

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noevalley.com)
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:36:58 -0700

Steve Clark wrote:

> Paul Carline wrote:
>
> The success of Darwinism is clearly due primarily to
> >the apparent - but spurious - scientific credibility it lends to an a
> >priori materialist-atheist philosophical position.
>
> People can do whatever they wish with scientific information and theories.
> Science can be used to support whatever philosophical world-view people want
> to argue for. This doesn't meant that the science is wrong.

Steve is correct in his statements, but surely we may find it
interesting (at least historically) when people jump on a
theory for non-scientific reasons. Darwin may have been a bold
pioneer, but his theory had a ready audience--the whole cadre of
European materialists was hungry for something so wonderfully
annoying to the clericalists.

Cliff Lundberg
San Francisco