Re: Insects mouths prepared in advance for flowers?

Brian D Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 00:15:40 -0400

At 05:21 PM 7/11/97 -0500, Russell Cannon wrote:

>Stephen Jones quoted from the following by Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini
>(Principal Research Associate of the Center for Cognitive Science at
>MIT):
>
>> "Inevitable Illusions: How Mistakes of
>> Reason Rule Our Minds" (John Wiley &
>> Sons: New York, 1994).
>
>> Suffice it to remind the reader that
>> insects had evolved at least ten
>> elaborate forms of mouthpieces, uniquely
>> "adapted" (one would say) to their
>> feeding upon flowers, one hundred million
>> years before there were any flowers on
>> Earth. Try to explain that with the
>> notion of adaptation.

My initial reaction to this quote was that it sounded
like something Gould might say. In other words, the
intent of the author was to say that evolution is
a very complex phenomena unlikely to be explained
solely by adaptationism.

Be that as it may, I read the article in question
tonight and could not find anywhere in it support
for the claim above, i.e. that the mouthpieces are
uniquely adapted to feeding on flowers. Perhaps I
missed something.

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics