Re: Jim's view of Technology

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Mon, 07 Jul 1997 21:06:04 -0500

At 12:01 PM 7/7/97 -0400, Jim Bell wrote:

>Glenn assigns me an arbitrary starting point. He's wrong about that. I
>don't believe we can be precise with it, but we can certainly get in the
>ballpark. The only certainty is this: 5.5 million years ain't in the
>ballpark. It ain't even in the city, the country or the world. The only
>place it is, is a pinpoint in Texas.

Jim, I didn't assign you an arbitrary starting point. You have
consistently denied saying what you say below. You clearly say that
humanity starts at 27,000 years ago.

a little history. On Dec. 6, 1996 you wrote in a thread named,

No Tears for Neanderthal:

Jim Bell (70672.1241@CompuServe.COM)
06 Dec 96 14:01:04 EST

>Glenn is going to love this.
>
>In the latest Facts & Faith, Hugh Ross deals with the so-called
>Neanderthal "flute" and other matters. There is a nice picture of
>the bone with holes, too. The article is a good one, entitled "The Meaning
>of Art and Music."
>
>One important point he makes, which bears repeating, is how difficult
>it is to say that "art" is associated with biblical humanness.
>"Most of us have seen chimpanzee art that compares favorably with modern art.
>Bower birds are known to decorate their nests." But we don't really consider
>birds human,or even incipient humans, do we? (Well, there might be a few...)
>
>Ross mentions a debate going on about "spirit art," art that would
>indicate "shaman-like" awareness, and thus true humanity. The debate is
>detailed in Bower, "Visions on the Rocks," Science News, vol. 150 (1996) pp.
>217-217. But note: neither group suggests that spirit art dates back earlier
>than 27,000 years.

This is your timeframe not mine. Now if you wish to retract this 27,000
year limit on spirit art as an indicator of human spirit be my guest.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood