Re: Johnson's new book.

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Tue, 01 Jul 97 21:32:56 +0800

Glenn (Friedrich)

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997 11:26:36 -0600, Glenn A. Friedrich wrote:

GF>While chasing hyperlinks through the Amazon, I ran across the following:
>

>| "Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds"
>|
>| by
>|
>| Philip E. Johnson
>|
>| Subjects: Evolution (Biology); Organic Evolution; Religion And Science
>|
>| Publisher: Intervarsity Press
>| Binding: Hardcover
>| Expected publication date: July 1997
>| ISBN: 0830813608
>
>A tantalizing (but somewhat condescending) title, no doubt. I was curious
>if anyone here (some who seem to have Mr. Johnson's ear) could provide some
>advance word of the content of this manuscript. Perhaps they could provide
>a synopsis or even better, a small excerpt.

InterVarsity Press don't even have a blurb about this on their web page yet,
even though it is due to come out in July. But I have a tape of Johnson's on
which he briefly mentions his new book "Defeating Darwinism: by Opening
Minds":

"I've just completed a book the other day. It's called "Defeating
Darwinism: By Opening Minds", and the subtitle is really very
important. Its about bringing critical thinking to this way of defeating
the materialistic dogmas *the right way*, not just by making
arguments, not just by propaganda certainly, but by teaching people
how to think and to spot the tricks and how to think critically about
this and other subjects. The book is particularly designed for bright
high school seniors, their parents and teachers, to prepare people for
the kind of indoctrination they're going to get when they go to
college." (Johnson P.E., "The Grand Metaphysical Scheme of
Evolution", Stand to Reason: Los Angeles, February 10, 1997, tape
2/2)

GF>I, for one, always relish the prospect of having my world view broadened
>and anxiously await publication.

Good!

Regards.

| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439 (These are |