Re: john disects your message!:mutations and reproduction

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:54:53 -0500

Chuck Warman wrote:

>Which, as Philip Johnson has pointed out so often, is a tautology: The
>evidence to support the theory of Darwinian evolution is, uhh, the theory
>of natural selection.

First, the theory of natural selection is a component of the evolution model
and as such, is important in supporting the theory. This is no more of a
tautological problem for evolution than Christ's death on the cross is a
tautological problem for Christianity.

Second, if, according to the critics, natural selection is a circular
argument, then artificial selection is too. However, we know that
artificial selection is real.

I see no philosophical problem with the feasibility of the evolution model,
and those of you who want to dismiss it outright on the feasibility point
are not doing a good job.

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs