Re: logic makes a comeback

Russell Stewart (diamond@rt66.com)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:43:15 -0600

At 10:15 AM 6/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 2:09 PM -0600 6/12/97, Russell Stewart wrote:
>
>>So, for the last time: No, I can't disprove God's existence. So what?
>>I have explained several times that, not only am I not required to,
>
>Duly noted. The first time, this time and many times inbetween.
>
>>but even if you could prove His existence, you still have no more
>>rational, objective, logical basis for following Him than I do for
>>following my own internal morality. Your argument is a house of cards.
>
>If I could establish the existence of God (and of course that the Bible is
>His written word), I would "have [a] more rational, objective, logical
>basis for following Him than [Russell does] for following [his] own
>internal morality" for this reason: I would have an unchanging standard for
>morality articulated by an omniscient, loving God.

But your reasons for following Him would be emotional, not logical.
I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, mind you, but that would
be the reason.

>However imperfectly I
>may observe that standard, I consider imperfect observance of a fixed
>standard better than imperfect observance of a standard that may change
>over time. And when I do fail to meet it, if I confess and repent, the
>articulator of the standard will forgive me and continue to develop me into
>the individual he wants me to be. He cares more about mentoring and
>developing people than he does about punishing disobedience.

Yes, but someone could come along and say, "just because this God of
yours is kind and sympathetic, that doesn't mean I have to be!"
What *logical* argument could you use to persuade him?

| Russell Stewart |
| http://www.rt66.com/diamond/ |
| Albuquerque, New Mexico | diamond@rt66.com |

2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.