[Fwd: Re: Scientism,truth, & knowledge]

Keith Plummer (keithp@starnetinc.com)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:46:31 -0500

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:43:09 -0500
From: Keith Plummer <keithp@starnetinc.com>
To: Pim van Meurs <entheta@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: Scientism,truth, & knowledge

Pim van Meurs wrote:

> Keith: My question is this - If science is the sole source of our
> knowledge,
> yet it makes no claims to truth, what then is it that we KNOW? Can one
> claim to "know" something without making a claim about what is true?
>
> Truth is something that cannot change. Science tries to find the 'truth'
> but in a scientific environment, the truth can never be found. Proof of
> science remains illusive although a case can be made and strengthened it
> can even take the form of a theory or law but in the end one observation
> can turn everything upside down.

But you didn't answer my question. What knowledge do we derive from
science? What are we justified in claiming to "know" and can any claim
to knowledge be made without also making a truth claim? I submit that
the answer to this question is "no"; any claim to knowledge entails a
belief that that which is claimed to be known is true. However, if as
you say, truth can never be found in a scientific environment, how can
we say that our knowledge has increased because of it?

Keith