Re: As people become Christians

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:18:00 -0500

At 09:47 AM 6/16/97 -0700, Dario wrote:

>Well tell me. Give a hint from the scientific prespective: What will
>cause a cancerous liver (over 90%) to become 100% healthy in less than a
>week without any chemical or radiological treatment ? And if your answer
>can't be proved in the lab then it isn't valid.

Dario, how do you interpret such an observation when in occurs in a
non-Christian, or in a dog? It also happens in laboratory animals who have
been given cancer.

There are several things that can cause tumors to "spontaneously" regress.
The person may mount an immune response (in the liver, the cancer could be
due to hepatitis virus, which is immunogenic--so the person could have
achieved a sufficiently immunogenic exposure to the viral antigens to induce
tumor rejection). Also, restricted caloric intake is a very good
anti-cancer strategy--and some patients may not eat much due to side effects
of the chemotherapy.

Basically, while this is rare, it is not unusual and mechanisms to account
for such spontaneous tumor regression have been identified.

>> Giraldo: Go to Ghana, ask to see the superintendent of the Foursquare
>> Church in
>> Africa Horace Sprague, and he will take you to a person who died and after
>> three days was resurrected.
>>
>> As I said, were they sure this person was really dead ?
>
>If you stop breathing for 5 days, are you dead? If your legs began to
>grow maggets are you dead ? If your body began to have a putrid smell are
>you dead ?

There are plenty of examples of people being declared dead but who were not.
Also, living flesh can indeed serve as a breeding ground for maggots.
Finally, there are many reasons for a "putrid" smell--several years ago I
smelled this in living patients who had gangrene or a Pseudomonas (bacteria)
infection. In fact, patients in the late stages of cancer can smell quite bad.

>Well, there is Dr. Pulido. A neuro-surgeon who had 11 cancerous tumours
>inside his skull. He had all of the x-rays to prove. He also has x-rays
>today that show his brain without any.

Again, there are numerous examples of this sort of thing happening in
nonChristian patients too. Basically, it is extremely difficult to prove
Divine intervention in such cases of spontaneous healing and caution is
advised when using this sort of thing as an apologetic tool.

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs