Re: uhh? why not evolution?

john queen (john.queen.ii@mail.utexas.edu)
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:44:21 -0600

>Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:42:55 -0600
>To: "Pim van Meurs" <entheta@eskimo.com>
>From: john queen <john.queen.ii@mail.utexas.edu>
>Subject: Re: uhh? why not evolution?
>Bcc:
----You are merely hiding behind a wall of defenitions. When I point out
that humans have not evolved in 1000's of years despite the billions of
humans that have existed this means nothing to you. Evolution to you is
something that happens in humans even though it has never been shown to
happen. However, your defenition of evolution includes simple one DNA base
pair mistakes. I think if you would read a book on biochemistry that talks
about DNA and how it is self correcting you will find that even single
mutations are very rare.
Since this is a scientific forum let me lead you through a simple
senario. Lets say single mutations over many generations inprove upon the
sequence of a protein making it more usefull. I'll let you pick any
primary structure you wish. Okay now, the first generation has passed and
the code for DNA has changed so that it codes for another amino acid. What
will the requirements be for this new code? Well first of all the
mutations must have to occur in the animals reproductive organs. Second of
all the body must recognize this new protein. The third requirement is
that this protein must be mutated over hundreds of generations in the same
location. The fourth requirement is that the proteins code must become
more usefull for the body after each generation.
My challenge is this: is there anyone here or who knows of anyone
that can start with just a 100 AA protein(make-believe) and make any amount
of modifications to this protein, even up to three modifications at a
time(which would be way out of hand) and create a protein that is usefull
to the body after each mutation? Okay now close your eyes and pick where
the mutations will go at each generation.
Reality check: Even if there was some usefull code made, the next
generation would have to deal with the random mutations that are coming.

please do not break up my comments but rather reply at the
end....

john w queen ii