Re: Faith, resurrection, and disciples

Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@orca.tamu.edu)
Tue, 10 Jun 97 20:42:17 CDT

Jim Bell writes:
>Wesley writes:

WRE><<This might be valid in discussion of Christian communities
WRE>later on, but I think that Brian needs to show that faith in
WRE>resurrection was a necessary attribute for messianic judaism
WRE>for his rebuttal to hold in discussion of the faith of the
WRE>disciples/apostles. The Sadduces, at least, appeared to feel
WRE>their own faith to be not pointless, and they had no belief
WRE>in resurrection.>>

JB>Ian Wilson writes: "Of the fate of James, we learn from
JB>Josephus, Eusebius and Hegesippus that after leading a life of
JB>great piety, worshipping daily in the Temple, and winning great
JB>respect from the ordinary people, in 62 AD he was murdered at
JB>the instigtion of one of that same Sadducee sect responsible
JB>for the death of Stephen, and of his brother Jesus." [Jesus:
JB>The Evidence, p. 149]

That's very interesting as a piece of Sadducee trivia. However,
if it was meant as some sort of rebuttal of my point, it's a
simple non sequitur: It does nothing to indicate that the
Sadducee's found their own faith worthless, or that they
believed in resurrection. I think everyone here already was
clued into the sectarian animosity angle.

[...]