Re: ICR and its slurs (summary reflections)

Brian D Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Wed, 04 Jun 1997 21:17:54 -0400

At 02:29 PM 6/3/97 EDT, Jim Bell wrote:
>Brian D. Harper writes:
>
><<I am curious how a distortion can be considered logically
>compelling or consistent, or how the science of evolution
>can be held in any way responsible for a connection to
>racism which is based on a distortion.>>

JB:
>But the point is that it is NOT a distortion. It is NOT a distortion to move
>from the premise "all is only material" to the conclusion "power is the only
>rule." It is NOT a distortion to move from "only the fittest survive" to "I
>define fitness as X, and I am X, therefore I am more fit to survive." Etc.
>
>So far no one has provided a logical argument, from purely materialistic
>premises, to refute the above.

1) we are talking about science, not philosophy and especially not
materialistic philosophy.

2) It certainly IS a distortion to 'move from "only the fittest
survive" to "I define fitness as X, and I am X, therefore I
am more fit to survive."' Such an extrapolation is not only
absurd, it has nothing whatsoever to do with science.

3) You previously insisted that your position was and
always had been that racists distort evolution to support
their beliefs. Now you insist that it is NOT a distortion.
If the logic is so compelling, why can't you make up your
mind ?

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics
The Ohio State University

"Quantum physicist and Jungian analyst, when dropped from
a great height, fall at the same rate of speed, their
descent unaffected by speech or creed" -- David Berlinski