Re: Logic makes a comeback: morality and materialism

Steve Stolz (steves@uccs.com)
Wed, 04 Jun 1997 14:32:25 -0500

Russell Stewart wrote:

> Steve Stolz said:
> >Birth control is only murder when it acts as an abortifacient, as
> >the pill does occasionally. Thus, the pill can effect murder by
> >allowing the woman's body to discard the fertilized egg, in cases
> >in which fertilization wasn't prevented.
> >
> >Birth control is, however, a denial of the gift of life which God
> >may want to give you, and is intrinsically evil in all cases, as
> >discussed in Humanae Vitae (Pope Paul VI, 1968) and in The Gospel
> >of Life (Pope John Paul II, 1995). Even if you're not Catholic,
> >these documents are a must-read for any serious study of abortion
> >or contraception.
>
> Really? I know devout Christians who believe that birth control is not
> evil. So much for the "common moral syntax".

You must differentiate between the absolute moral code as instituted
by God, and the human interpretation and understanding of that
absolute.

If there is no authority on earth to state the correct interpretation
of scripture, then differences in interpretation will occur. In other
words, if each individual is allowed to interpret scripture with the
guide of prayer and the Holy Spirit, then there can be no result
except differences in interpretation, which we see everywhere today.

We Catholics believe Jesus would never leave the interpretation of
scripture to the individual, even guided by the Holy Spirit, exactly
because of this problem. Hence he created his church, which we
believe to be the Catholic Church, to be the final authority ON
EARTH in the correct interpretation of scripture.

This is backed up in scripture when Philip the deacon asks the
Ethiopian, who was reading scripture, "Canst thou understand what
thou art reading?" The Ethiopian replied, "How could I .. without
someone to guide me?" [Acts 8:30-31]. We are also reminded that
"no prophesy in scripture is the subject of private interpretation"
[2 Pet 1:20].

If indivudual guidance by the Holy Spirit were a reality, each
Christian would understand the same thing from any particular verse
since God cannot teach error. Yet as you point out, Christians have
understood contradictory things from scripture. Even in the same
church, while many may agree on most major points, the frequency and
vehemence of the squabbles on lesser matters, which should be just as
clear if the Holy Spirit is enlightening them, prove the sacred text
cannot always explain itself.

I don't want to get into the Catholic/Protestant differences, and
I in no way wish to offend anyone with my comments (I hope my use
of "We believe" was adequate to the task). However, I do want you
to understand my belief as to why there is this discrepancy in the
moral code as interpreted by Christians today.

Steve Stolz
steves@uccs.com