Re: ICR and its slurs

Russell Stewart (diamond@rt66.com)
Wed, 04 Jun 1997 12:26:08 -0600

At 02:29 PM 6/3/97 EDT, you wrote:
>SJ >What "evidence" would you accept?
>
>RS <<What do you have?
>
>Steve asked a very important question which you need to spend a little time
>on. As in any debate, we must make sure we are using the same terms. You use
>two rather common terms, "evidence" and "proof." But it is not clear how you
>are using them.

I honestly don't know what would convince me that God exists. Of course, if
He appeared in front of me in an undeniable way, that would be pretty
convincing.
But beyond that, I'm not sure.

>Please answer a couple of questions:
>
>#1. What kind of evidence are you willing to entertain? Apologetics deals with
>two lines of evidence, historical and philosophical. The former traffics
>primarily in testimonial evidence. Do you have any problem with that? The
>latter traffics in logic, reasoning and, perhaps most importantly, the
>application of common experiential sense (here we get a little help from our
>friend, Mr. Science). I assume you have no problem with that, do you?

I certainly put much more weight in logic and experimental evidence than in
eyewitness testimony. As someone once said, "if you listen to two eyewitness
accounts of an auto accident, you will think twice about history".

>#2. What is your "standard of proof"? If something can be demonstrated as
>"more reasonable than not" or "more probable than not," are you willing to
>accept it?

I don't know. I guess I do have to think about it. But that shouldn't stop you
or anyone else from trying to put forth a convincing argument.

| Russell Stewart |
| http://www.rt66.com/diamond/ |
| Albuquerque, New Mexico | diamond@rt66.com |

2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.