Re: Logic makes a comeback: morality and materialism

Steve Stolz (steves@uccs.com)
Tue, 03 Jun 1997 13:47:19 -0500

Oops - my first response wasn't cc'ed to the group...

Bill Hamilton wrote:

> At 8:57 AM -0600 6/3/97, Russell Stewart wrote:
> >So then, according to scripture, birth control is murder?
> >
> Good question, Russell. Typically Christians use Psalm 139:13 - 16 in
> their arguments against abortion. But that passage implies that God has
> plans even for people not yet conceived. So how do we then conclude that
> birth control prior to conception is acceptable? I do oppose abortion, and
> I do believe that Psalm 139:13-16 justifies that opposition. But OTOH my
> wife used an IUD for years, and eventually I got a vasectomy (based on the
> way our kids are turning out, I think we were a little hasty in ceasing
> hasving kids. [proud father mode off]). So I have just floated along with
> the distinction most Protestants make. But whether it can be justified is
> another matter...

Birth control is only murder when it acts as an abortifacient, as
the pill does occasionally. Thus, the pill can effect murder by
allowing the woman's body to discard the fertilized egg, in cases
in which fertilization wasn't prevented.

Birth control is, however, a denial of the gift of life which God
may want to give you, and is intrinsically evil in all cases, as
discussed in Humanae Vitae (Pope Paul VI, 1968) and in The Gospel
of Life (Pope John Paul II, 1995). Even if you're not Catholic,
these documents are a must-read for any serious study of abortion
or contraception.

Steve Stolz
steves@uccs.com