Re: Logic makes a comeback: morality and materialism

Russell Stewart (diamond@rt66.com)
Thu, 29 May 1997 13:55:26 -0600

Adrian wrote:
>> Jim's argument is that materialist morality is neither objective, logical,
>> or consistent. I don't disagree with the first point, since morality by
>> definition is something that cannot be objective.
>
>By your personal definition, which may possibly be invalid.

Fine. Prove that it is. You and Jim are the ones claiming that there is such
thing as a truly objective morality, so the burden of proof is on you.

>> the most rational and moral course of action for me is to behave in a way
that,
>> shall we say, maximizes the amount of happiness in the universe.
>
>This begs the question - why is it the "most raitonal and moral course
>of action" to behave that way?

Because, as I explained, I know that when I am hurt it is a bad thing, and
it is logical to assume that it is the same for others.

>> There we go. The smallest details are laid out for everyone to see. No
>> "moral capital"
>> has been borrowed from any other belief system. And, more importantly, it
works.

>Russell, my respect for you has grown considerably since the time I read
>your disparaging remarks against Bill.

I never made the slightest disparaging remarks towards Bill.

>You have clearly laid out
>something quite personal, and none of us have a right to condemn you for
>holding on to your views. I want you to know that I respect your take on
>morality even though I totally disagree with it because I see obvious
>difficulties and inconsistencies.
>
>However, I must apologize if I had offended you. You are certainly
>entitled to your opinions, and treated with the respect and dignity of a
>fellow a human being. I don't think Bill or anyone can change your stand
>significantly, especially through an impersonal mode of communication
>such as this.

Thank you for saying this; I certainly do appreciate it. And I should also
point out, just so that everyone knows, that I have in no way intended to
disparage or smear Christianity as a whole. I know many Christians (including
family members) who are good, decent people. That wouldn't be the case if
Christian moral philosophy were a failure.

| Russell Stewart |
| http://www.rt66.com/diamond/ |
| Albuquerque, New Mexico | diamond@rt66.com |

2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.