Re: Racism is Racism, Evolution is NOT

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Wed, 28 May 1997 15:39:17 -0400

At 1:01 PM -0600 5/28/97, Russell Stewart wrote:

>IOW, Judeo-Christian morality is just as subjective as any other, and can
>be distorted in the same way to support almost any belief.

I disagree with Russ' first point, while agreeing with the second. Someone
pointed out earlier that Christian morality is objective _if_ the God of
the Bible exists. Jim and I and others believe that He does and Russ
doesn't. Saying that my side wins on one point because a related point
which is in dispute can't be resolved to my satisfaction doesn't get us
anywhere.

I agree with Russ that Christian morality can be distorted to justify moral
evil. It's happened. That of course doesn't invalidate the moral system.
It only illuminates the nearly infinite capacity of humans for
rationalization.

Back to the first point. Russ asks us to establish the existence of the
God of the Bible (or at least he has claimned that His existence cannot be
established). This is a fair challenge from a human point of view, but God
is a Person and has His own rules about how His existence is to be known.
Normally it is He who takes the initiative in revealing Himself to people.
So we are somewhat limited in what we can do. What I can do, Russ, is to
pray that He will reveal Himself to you. And I'm doing that.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr, Ph.D. | Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems | General Motors R&D Center | Warren, MI
William_E._Hamilton@notes.gmr.com
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX) | whamilto@mich.com (home email)