Re: Racism is Racism, Evolution is NOT

Kimberly Elms (kelms@asu.edu)
Wed, 28 May 1997 09:58:50 -0700

Jim Bell wrote:

> There was a gang member out here some time ago who was tried for murder in a
> drive-by that killed a two-year-old kid. His sentiment? The two-year-old is
> better off dead, because it's a useless world. I did the kid a favor. And if
> you execute me, big deal. I'm going to die soon enough on the streets.
>
> Now that is a materialist philosophy, coherent and logical according to its own terms.

Is an individual inability to empathize and feel sympathy really a
materialist philosophy? Empathy and sympathy are human emotions that
while innate, are amplified by nurture and modeling. I don't believe
that materialism and these things are mutually exclusive.
Just the humble opinion of an undergrad lurker, no flames please :)

-- Kimberly ElmsUniversity Honors College: AnthropologyArizona Statekelms@asu.edu"You can't tell which way the train went by looking at thetrack."--unknown