Re: ICR and its slurs

Russell Stewart (diamond@rt66.com)
Thu, 22 May 1997 23:53:47 -0600

At 01:51 PM 5/22/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Rich Knopp wrote:
>
><<Personally, I still understand how some people WITHOUT racist
>predispositions can plausibly correlate a naturalistic and non-theistic
>"survival of the fittest" mentality with racism. Philosophically, the
>problem is how one can ever justify ANY transcending value that would
>condemn a racist attitude.>>
>
>You've hit it dead on, IMO. First, the logic is not only compelling, but
>somehow unavoidable.

If it were, then the majority of "evolutionists" would have to be
racists. Are they?

>If one accepts "survival of the fittest" one HAS TO
>conclude that there is a class "less fit."

Only if one believes that there is such a thing as clearly definable
"races" of humans with distinct genetic differences.

Not to mention the fact that "less fit" is an entirely subjective term.
Sharks have survived for 200 million years with almost no change -- clearly
that means that they are "more fit" than us. Does that mean that sharks are
superior to humans? Depends on how you define superiority.

What you are missing, Jim, is that if one understands evolutionary theory,
one realizes that there is no hierarchy of superiority in the biological
kingdom. There is no such thing as "more evolved" or "less evolved" species
(or races). Evolution simply means change. "Fit" merely means well-adapted
to the current environment, whatever that may be. And one thing we know for
sure is that environments change, sometimes quite drastically. In fact,
"purifying"
the human race (in the sense that the Nazis attempted) would be a bad thing
even from a purely evolutionary perspective, because genetic diversity is what
allows a species to adapt more readily to a changing environment.

>Once that is accepted, it is
>LOGICAL to presume the fitness of one class over another. And once THAT is
>accepted, you have people like Hitler who merely follow the logic through. All
>of this is explained in my thoroughly engaging novel, The Darwin Conspiracy.

Sounds like you based an entire novel on very shallow logic.

>Second, the philsophical problem is exactly as you propose. How can there by
>ANY transcendent values in such a world?

Obviously there can, since the majority of those who accept evolution (whether
they be atheist, Christian, Buddhist, or whatever) believe in individual human
rights.

>I've often asked materialists to
>prove Hitler was "wrong" or "evil." They just can't do it. Of course they
>can't do it. They haven't got the moral syntax available to them.

I find this hard to believe. Either you are asking very stupid materialists,
or you are asking them in a way that they cannot provide a satisfactory answer.

I can tell you that, speaking as an atheist, I believe that what Hitler did
was wrong and evil, because I believe in humanist morality. That is, I believe
very strongly in the sanctity (if I can use that word) of human rights and human
happiness. Why? Because I know that I have feelings and emotions, and I can
logically conclude from observing other humans that they do too. I know what it
feels like to be hurt, and I don't want to inflict that on another person if I
can in any way avoid it. Furthermore, I don't want to let another person inflict
that one someone.

Why do I need any other reason than that? Why is this such a difficult concept?
Why do we need to base morality on terror ("be good or you'll go to hell!")?
I have an easier time trusting a person who does the right thing because it's
right, rather than someone who does it simply because he is afraid of being
punished
for not doing it.

>Having said all that, an evolutionist is not ipso facto a racist. Of course
>not.

Of course you have to throw out that scrap of a concession to keep from sounding
like a complete religious bigot.

>But they ought to be aware that their philosophy lends itself to such a
>conclusion,

Clearly not.

>and that their moral rejection of racism is based upon capital
>borrowed from a transcendent system.

My moral rejection of racism is based on my own empathy for the feelings of
others; my own recognition that other humans have feelings just like myself.
You may call that a "transendent system", but it is still completely materialist
in origin.

(Justification of double-standard deleted for brevity.)

| Russell Stewart |
| http://www.rt66.com/diamond/ |
| Albuquerque, New Mexico | diamond@rt66.com |

If Rush is Right, then I'll take what's Left.