Re: Haldane

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Tue, 13 May 97 06:26:04 +0800

Wesley

On Tue, 29 Apr 97 01:41:11 CDT, Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

[...]

>SJ>Would you mind if I sent a copy of your comments to Walter to
>give him the right of reply? I have no guarantee he will reply,
>since my past attempts to lure him back to the Reflector have
>failed.

WE>I would like nothing better than to have ReMine actually address
>the concerns that were raised by me repeatedly on talk.origins
>and cc'ed email.

Thanks. I will send a copy of your post to Walter and let you know
of his reply (if any).

WE>ReMine did not produce the name of the simulation that he had
>claimed showed the problem, nor any indication of how one
>recognized the problem in a simulation. It seems to me that he
>missed a great opportunity to try out his idea.

>SJ>ReMine actually names one in his book, ie. Dawkin's "Methinks it
>is like a Weasel" simulation:
>
>"Thus, the simulation-with its numerous unrealistic assumptions that
>favor evolution-is less than five times faster than Haldane's estimate
>of 300 generations per substitution. Ironically, this suggests that
>Haldane was too optimistic about the speed of evolution.' (ReMine
>W.J., "The Biotic Message", 1993, p236).

WE>I had checked out "The Biotic Message" once before, but I did not
>have it in hand during the talk.origins discussion. If the "weasel"
>simulation is really the one that Walter meant, then that should have
>been dead easy for him to name. I suspect it was the call for a
>definite and programmable criterion for detection of a "problem"
>due to Haldane's dilemma that caused the silence.

I would have thought it would be fairly obvious that "the `weasel'
simulation is really the one that Walter meant" since it is the one
that appears in his "Haldane's Dilemma" chapter.

WE>I counted up to eight times that I asked for the name of the
>simulation and other associated support, and then presented
>it a few more times that I didn't count. The only response
>from Walter was "Hold your horses."

Presumably Walter thought you meant something over and above what he
wrote in "The Biotic Message"?

BTW, you seem to have overlooked my question about what
"hard selection" and "soft selection" are. Here is your statement
amd my question again:

On Sat, 12 Apr 97 23:55:33 CDT, Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

WE>The topic was discussed on talk.origins back in 1995, with Walter
>ReMine himself pressing the difficulties of Haldane's dilemma.
>Andy Peters and Chris Colby asserted that Haldane's dilemma only
>arose with a "hard selection" scenario; under "soft selection" it
>just wasn't the problem that ReMine claimed. ReMine, of course,
>remained unconvinced.

[...]

I would appreciate it if you would explain what "hard selection" and
"soft selection" are.

Regards.

| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 9 448 7439 (These are |