Re: evolution?

Joel Duff (virkotto@intrnet.net)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:03:24 -0500

John Queen <john.queen.ii@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>Forum:
>RNA catalysis was discussed in a recent chemistry graduate course. Many
>believe that RNA served as a catalyst from which usefull components for
>life were made including DNA. After reviewing the literature we found that
>this area has all but been abandoned by researchers because of the lack of
>results under controlled conditions. While discussing the topic of
>evolution with the class our teacher admitted that while there are alot of
>ideas behind evolution, from a Chemistry standpoint the mechanisms are not
>there. In other words, the house is built, but when it comes down to the
>nuts and bolts of how it was built there is no explanation or idea that
>makes sense. This is when the ideas are scrutinized as any other chemical
>reaction or process. (by the way the prof believes totally in evolution but
>admits there is no know mechanism explaining it).

Welcome to the fray John. I don't have any comments on your real question
but your first comments reminded me of something that I haven't seen
pointed out for quite a while now. That is that the question of the origin
of life itself isn't necessarily the same question as whether evolution has
occurred. Evolutionary theory speaks to how living things have changed
through time. In reality, the questions may go hand in hand but often I
find that some criticize evolutionary theory as if it must explain the the
origin of life to have any validity. This, strictly speaking may not be
proper - but I am willing to be corrected:)

Just splitting hairs since its been fairly quiet around here.

Joel

postdoc in plant biology
Southern Illinois University
virkotto@intrnet.net or duff@siu.edu