Re: left-handed non-biological amino acids

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Wed, 09 Apr 97 21:51:29 +0800

Group

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:12:24 -0600, Glenn Morton wrote:

[...]

>GM>...Since this particular amino acid is not incorporated into a
>earth species, it cannot be contamination by terrestrial sources...

SJ>...if "no terrestrial creatures use it", what is its relevance to
>the origin of life on Earth?

GM>...It is relevant because if life evolved some mechanism would
>have had to create non-racemic amino acids.

That is also true if God created life using natural processes - ie.
Mediate Creation. But there is nothing really new about this that
warranted Glenn's fanfare. There are already "mechanism" known that
can "create non-racemic amino acids" (eg. "crystallization of a
racemate from a super-saturated solution", "Preferential interaction
with radiation", "Interaction with chiral surfaces", "Chemical
dissimilarities of enantiomer" and "physical and chemical properties"
(Croft L.R., "How Life Began", 1988, p61).

The problem with all of these is that like the Murchison meteorite,
the yield is too low.

[...]

SJ>If Glenn really believes in "planning, preparation and putting
>together", then he is not believing in "evolution" in the same sense
>that science uses it-he is believing in a form of mediate *creation*
>not "evolution".

GM>Correct!!! I and the other TEs have been trying to tell you this
>for a long time.

This is not even true. "TEs" hardly ever "tell" me this. Indeed,
they hardly ever mention God in their explanations. In Glenn's
triumphant announcement of 05 Mar 1997 concerning this discovery,
there is no mention of God, except to put down creationist for
believing that God was involved: