Carnivores today? (was Re: Carnivores in Eden)

John Tant, N4XAN (jtant@exis.net)
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 14:10:51 -0500

Anyone have any comment on the following?

Recently we've had a couple of folks come through the local area
down here advocating a meat-free diet as being "God's way to total
health and fitness" and quoting Gen 1:29 (but not v. 30) as proof
of God's "desire" for us. My response to this has been:

On the strength of v. 30 , one could reasonably infer that the
animals aren't the same as in Eden. So, since we're supposed to
be the cause of their change, why would that change not apply
to us as well?

Comment?

jbt

Steven M. Smith wrote:

> David J. Tyler wrote:
>

> This contrast between Genesis 1 and the present day is raised as
> a problem by non-Christians [...don't forget us Christians, too :-)
> (SMS)]. After discussing the subject of limited variation with an
> individual, the following objection was put to me.
>
> "The biological development necessary for the transformation of a
> world of entirely herbivorous animals into a world where
> predation is everywhere and in which life cycles of so many
> species are so intricately and inextricably bound requires
> something more than a limited variation."
>
> There is substance in this challenge. It is worthy of our
> attention. The problem can be expressed concisely as follows: to
> argue for created design seems to be in tension with the
> vegetarian order portrayed in Genesis 1; to argue for such major
> changes to have occurred naturally after the Fall (or the Flood)
> seems to go beyond the limits of variation we customarily refer
> to; to invoke miraculous intervention after the Fall (or the
> Flood) seems to make God's judgment into a "re-creation" for the
> predators-because they show themselves to be wonderfully designed
> for their particular lifestyle.

> Well stated. I gather ...

(SNIP)

-- ********************************************************************* John B. Tant  http://wwwp.exis.net/~jtant  jtant@nospam.exis.net **                                                                  **               Find out more about the Declaration!               **                   http://www.Declaration.net/                    **                                                                  **       The opinions I express are my own, not my employer's       **                  http://www.infi.net/~stonebdg                   *********************************************************************