Re: Chance infufficient? (was Re: Bill Dembski)

Rich Knopp (rknopp@prairienet.org)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:07:14 -0600 (CST)

GLEN MORTON WROTE:
>I am somewhat amazed that the new science of nonlinear dynamics has had such
>a difficult time penetrating Christian thought. I have a program on my web
>page which can be downloaded and run on a pc. This is based upon based upon
>a genome of 384 bits.. These numbers are then used as the genome in the
>production of a screen shape. Each iteration of the program mutates the
>genome, and then a screen "critter" is made. If you run the selection
>program and search for a genome that produces a given shape you will find
>that shape. If you use classical, creationist definitions of probability
>there is only 1 chance out of 10^115 (2^384) that the correct genome will
>be found. It would take longer than the age of the universe to find the one
>and only genome. However, what we find is that after about 2600 mutations,
>I find a genome which will produce any desired shape. If I re-run the
>program, I will find another genome which produces that very same shape. In
>fact, I have not had the occasion to settle on the same genome twice. This
>means that somewhere around 10^105 or so genomes of my artificial creature
>will produce that shape.

Rich Knopp, M.Div., Ph.D.
Professor of Philosophy and Christian Apologetics
Lincoln Christian College and Seminary
Lincoln, IL. 62656

"If God didn't exist, He would want us not to believe in Him."