Re: Irredeemably tainted words.

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Fri, 07 Mar 97 05:30:06 +0800

Group

On Sun, 02 Mar 1997 21:44:54 -0500, Brian D Harper wrote:

>SJ>No doubt once "evolution", carefully defined and used, could once
>have had a distinct scientific meaning. But these days it has so
>many meanings (including mainly non-theistic ones), that it is
>indeed "tainted beyond redemption". Ask a man in the street, "Do
>you believe in God?" and you are likely to get the reply, "No, I
>believe in evolution".

>SJ>No comment? No doubt because it is unanswerable!

BH>Argument from silence?
>
>The reply to this question obviously depends on which street you
>are in. As regarding most American streets, I'll let Phil answer
>this unanswerable question:
>
> "According to public opinion polls, the vast majority of
> Americans are _theists_, which means they believe (or
> at least say they believe) that we were created by God,
> ... -- Phil, from the introduction to RitB

OK. The percentages is obviously different in Australia. We are a
fairly pagan society down here. I would guess that only about 10% of
Australians today would be church/mosque/synagogue-goers (my 1977
Operation World says only 12%). Also, according to my Operation
World in 1977 about 22% of Australians claim to be atheists. I
would suspect it could be higher today. I have personally witnessed
to people and have received the reply "sorry, I believe in
evolution". While the percentage is less in the USA, those who don't
believe in God would no doubt cite belief in "evolution" as the
reason for their unbelief.

[...]

>SJ>Brian's attempt to sidetrack the debate into another channel where I
>have to defend his (and Loren's) imaginary claim that I can read
>minds and hearts. One does not have to "know the heart..TEs" to
>make this rather elementary deduction:
>
>1. "since they" (ie TEs) "believe that evolution is true"
>
>therefore "they" (ie TEs) "believe that":
>
>2. "the posting of arguments against evolution must, in the long
>run, be counterproductive to the best interests of Christianity".
>
>If Brian disagrees with either of those two self-evident
>propositions, then I invite him to say which one.

BH>It never even occured to me that "the posting of arguments against
>evolution must, in the long run, be counterproductive to the best
>interests of Christianity". How you think this is self evident is
>beyond me. But now that you have brought it up, I will say that as
>far as I'm concerned, it is false. The posting of evidence against
>evolution is not counterproductive to the best interests of
>Christianity in the long run or in the short run or in the middle
>run.

I wonder then why Brian thinks that "many creationists are doing
great harm to the church":