Chalk and the flood

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 20:39:46 -0600

At 02:15 PM 2/19/97 GMT, David J. Tyler wrote:

>I'm not sure I want to get into the wider debate here. Are there
>mechanisms for rapidly depositing fine grained material? What about
>flocculation?
>
>> The chalk at Dover
>> in your country is approximately the same age as the white chalk upon which
>> Dallas is built. Here the chalk is around 400 feet thick. Chalk consists
>> of about 80% dead, microscopic coccoliths. These coccoliths require lots of
>> time to fall to the ocean floor, like several years if they are falling by
>> themselves. Hooked to other coccoliths it can fall faster. but in a flood
>> how do such fine grained, organic remains like coccoliths fall in a year?
>
>There are lots of features of chalk that seem to me to favour
>catastrophism. However, I agree that 1 year is unrealistic. I
>think a timescale of decades is necessary to be defensible. [But
>that's another thread - which I'm not wanting to open up!]

Oh well I will start a new thread. I drilled a wll in southern Louisiana
just east of New Orleans to 24,329 feet. At 18,000 feet or so, we
encountered the Austin chalk which lies at the surface in Dallas. We
drilled 2,100 feet of chalk. If as you say it would take decades for the
chalk to settle out, this presents a problem for flood geologists. This
chalk at 18,000 feet deep must be either pre-flood or post flood. If post
flood, then almost none of the mesozoic strata and absolutely none of the
Tertiary strata in this country can be considered formed by the flood. This
means that 18,000 feet of sediment which lies above the chalk must be post
flood.

If the chalk is pre-flood, then all the strata which lie below it and then
stretches out to West Texas, must also be pre-flood. This means that the
entire Paleozoic strata is preflood. In either case, there simply must be
lots of time for these sediments to form non-catastrophically.

Louisiana / /West Texas
18000 feet of / /Lower Mesozoic
Tertiary /chalk/Paleozoic rocks
U. Cretaceous / /underneath the chalk
above / /
chalk / /

Also, in a global flood, how were the chalks kept so un mixed with sand and
shale?

Consider

American chalks 90% coccoliths 10% shale
European chalks are 99 percent coccoliths; 1% is shale see (Peter
A. Scholle, Michael A. Arthur and Allan A. Ekdale, "Pelagic
Environment," in Peter A. Scholle, Don G. Bebour, Clyde H. Moore,
Carbonate Depositional Environments, (Tulsa: American Association
of Petroleum Geologists, 1983), p.640

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood