Re: Theory and Fat [sic]

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 08:36:43 -0500

At 6:34 PM 2/18/97, Stephen Jones wrote:
>>SJ>No. The "Intelligent Design model" does specifiy a "mechanism", the
>>word of command of the "Intelligent Designer':
>>
>>"And God said, `Let there be...,' and there was..." (Gn 1:3,6,9,
>>11,14,20,24,26); "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made,
>>their starry host by the breath of his mouth" (Ps 33:6); In the
>>beginning was the Word...Through him all things were made; without
>>him nothing was made that has been made." (Jn 1:1-3).
>
>BH>OK, fine, but it is not necessary for ID to appeal to God.
>
>First, Brian now acknowledges that the "Intelligent Design model"
>does specifiy a "mechanism". This is in contradistinction to
>naturalistic evolution which has no specified mechanism, eg. for
>"prebiotic evolution."

Is anyone else wondering whether the term "mechanism" is being used
consistently here? Evolutionary biologists, biochemists, geneticists, etc.
have identified a number of mechanisms -- crossover, mutation, selection,
etc. that in principle could account for the diversity of life we see
today. As a Christian I don't believe the mechanisms are the whole story.
Steve has rightly pointed out what is missing: the initiating and
sustaining word of God. I think though that God's actions are not properly
called mechanisms. Rather they are initiation and direction.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr, Ph.D. | Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems | General Motors R&D Center | Warren, MI
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX) | whamilto@mich.com (home email)