Re: Polystrate trees

Randy Landrum (randyl@efn.org)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:08:56 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Glenn Morton wrote:

> >On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Glenn Morton wrote:
> >
> >> Two weeks ago in response to my assertion that there was no case of a
> >> polystrate tree beginning in a coal seam, going through a coal seam and
> >> ending in a coal seam, I had asked,

> strata of
> >>

> >I am wondering if you understood the meaning of polystrate?
> >

> I know what polystrate fossils are. The term comes from poly meaning many,
> strate being the proper form for strata in this context. Fossils which pass
> through many strata.

Polystrate trees which extend through more than one layer (hence the name
""poly-strate"-meaning "many strata") in effect "tie the layers together"
into a short period of time. This period of time can't be explicitly
determimed from the data, but it is wholly imcompatible with the long-age
model normally taught.

Page 101 The Young Earth by John D. Morris, Ph.D.

While you are pulling out your copy maybe you should take a look at
several of the pictures of examples of polystrate tree extending from coal
to overlying shale, and polystrate tree spanning two narrow coal seams and
the intervening shale. Photo by Andrew Snelling. Before you ask no I was
not present for the photos.

Also on the same page:

"One polystrate tree might be understood as having been deposited in a
freakish scenario, but the fact is, the world contains many polystrate
trees. In coal mines, they are quite common. I have personally been in
many underground coal mines and with one exception, saw polystrate trees
or kettles in each of them. Dramatic examples are sometimes fround in
areas where the coal cross-section is exposed by erosion or by open
pit-mining."

Again page 101 of The Young Earth by John D. Morris, Ph. D.

And another paragraph:

"Everywhere we looked, we found polystrate fossils protruding up through
several limestone layers each. These were not large trees, but fossilized
reed-like creatures called Calamities, in some cases up to six inches in
diameter, but usually just an inch or so. These segmented "stems" were
evendently quite fragile once dead, for they are usually found in tiny
fragments. Obviously, the limestones couldn't have accumulated slowly and
gradually around a still-growing organism, but must have been quite
rapidly deposited in a series of underwater events."

-Randy