Re: Volcanic cooling - Physics anyone?

BS9DA08 (D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:44:10 GMT

On 11 Feb 97 at 18:56, Joel Duff wrote:

> Your answer to my volcanic cooling question was about what I thought:
> Nothing ever is as simple as it first seems unfortunately. It seem that it
> would be safe to say that there could be enough unknowns in any equation
> that I shouldn't use time for cooling as an argument that a world-wide
> flood couldn't have happened only 4000 years ago. This is what I needed to
> know. Thanks.

In Joel's initial post on this matter, he mentioned VOLCANIC rocks
cooling. I think the response I posted to that a fair one. However,
this post of Joel leaves out the qualifier "volcanic" and I find this
significant enough to comment on further. There are PLUTONIC rocks
to consider, and here there is a much more serious challenge to short
timescales. I've noted Glenn's response, which develops the point in
the context of plutonic rocks. I would like to argue that the
principles given in my post on volcanic cooling still apply - but the
issues are much more complex. I'll try to respond in more detail to
Glenn's post next week.

Best wishes,